This feature is hosted by the amazing The Perpetual Page Turner and has appeared on several blogs that I very much enjoy, so, here’s my version of bookish events in 2013! You can find all the books I’ve read this year by clicking here.
1. Best book you read in 2013? (If you have to cheat — you can break it down by genre)
I’m not going to break it down by genre, these are just the books I enjoyed the most this year! Either the Miseducation of Cameron Post, The Reader, I am the Messenger or Eleanor and Park, I think all but the Reader count as YA, but they are all incredible!
2. Book you were excited about & thought you were going to love more but didn’t?
Gone Girl. It was way too long, the characters were horrible and the first fifty pages were completely pointless.
3. Most surprising (in a good way!) book of 2013?
The Boyfriend App – I thought it was going to be a high school romance and it turned out to be an amazing sci fi adventure! Seriously, even if you aren’t all that sciency this is an incredible read!
4. Book you read in 2013 that you recommended to people most in 2013?
The Miseducation of Cameron Post. I literally haven’t shut up about it.
5. Best series you discovered in 2013?
The Choas Walking series, I read the first one when I picked it up as one of the World Book Day books this year, I’m reading the second one now!
6. Favorite new author you discovered in 2013?
Rainbow Rowell, without a doubt, she is amazing! Eleanor and Park was actually incredible, that hand holding scene, I am still thinking about that hand holding scene! I also read Attachments this year, which wasn’t quite as good but was still rather cute and I have Fangirl to read when I finally get to it in the massive to-read pile!
7. Best book that was out of your comfort zone or was a new genre for you?
I don’t generally read out of my comfort zone but I did finally read The Shining and I loved it.
8. Most thrilling, unputdownable book in 2013?
Parasite Positive, I was actually completely hooked on that!
9. Book you read in 2013 that you are most likely to re-read next year?
The Miseducation of Cameron Post, or Wonder, they’re both so perfect I want to read them both over and over.
10 best cover of a book you read in 2013?
I loved the cover of the Man in the High Tower,
11. Most memorable character in 2013?
Dirk Gently from Dirk Gently’s Holistic Detective Agency
13. Book that had the greatest impact on you in 2013?
The Reader. It had a such a profound affect on me that I can barely talk about it without going on for an eternity about how it discusses evil, what it means and what makes you evil.
14. Book you can’t believe you waited UNTIL 2013 to finally read?
A Moveable Feast or The Shining, both were incredible and I honestly have no idea why I waited so long to get in on this.
15. Favorite passage/quote from a book you read In 2013?
Eleanor and Park was chock full of incredible quotes. I honestly think coming across the phrase: “I’ll be your Bobba Fett, I’ll cross the stars for you.” Was my favourite thing I’ve ever read.
17. Book that had a scene in it that had you reeling and dying to talk to somebody about it?
The hand holding scene in Eleanor and Park.
18. Favorite relationship from a book you read in 2013 (be it romantic, friendship, etc):
Tris and Four. I ship them so hard!
19. Favorite book you read in 2013 from an author you’ve read previously:
The Madness Underneath– Maureen Johnson.
20. Best book you read in 2013 that you read based SOLELY on a recommendation from somebody else:
Miseducation of Cameron Post.
21. Genre you read the most from in 2013?
YA. I still seem to be stuck in a YA rut,
22. Best 2013 debut you read?
I have no idea…! I think The Boyfriend App was a debut this year and it was well good, so that one!
23. Most vivid world/imagery in a book you read in 2013?
I have absolutely no idea. Probably I am the Messenger.
24. Book that was the most fun to read in 2013?
Probably Dash and Lily’s Book of Dares. That was properly fun!
25. Book that made you cry or nearly cry in 2013?
The ending of Eleanor and Park was very emotional, 13 Reasons Why and Before I die all induced the feels.
26. Book you read in 2013 that you think got overlooked this year or when it came out?
I honestly have no idea!