I’ve done the End of Year Book Survey from Perpetual Page Turner for the past couple of year’s now and well, I couldn’t not do it again this year, especially because I have read a lot of great books this year, even if I haven’t managed to read as many books as I’d hoped to. Anyway, let’s get on with the survey and make sure you check out Jamie at Perpetual Page Turner if you haven’t already!
2015 Reading Stats
Number Of Books You Read: 74. Considering I was supposed to read 80 this year, I don’t feel good about this!
Number of Re-Reads: 2 (My Best Friend’s Girl by Dorothy Koomson and Where Rainbows End – Cecelia Aherne)
Genre You Read The Most From: YA I guess!
Best in Books
1. Best Book You Read In 2015?(If you have to cheat — you can break it down by genre if you want or 2013 release vs. backlist)
I read literally so many books this year! I think I’m going to have to list more than one, it’s the only way I can do this! The best books I read this year were:
2. Book You Were Excited About & Thought You Were Going To Love More But Didn’t?
Marley’s Ghost by David Levithan. I LOVE David Levithan books, he’s one of my favourite authors, but I just didn’t love this. Sorry.
3. Most surprising (in a good way or bad way) book you read?
The Amazing book is not on fire – Dan Howell and Phil Lester. Like I bought it because I was love Dan Howell’s face, but I expected it to be a bit… Well… shit. And it wasn’t! It was genuinely awesome! Read it!
4. Book You “Pushed” The Most People To Read (And They Did)?
The Drowning of Arthur Braxton – Caroline Smailes. It’s so good. A couple of people I recommended it to also thought it was awesome. Very excited about the film! Now!
5. Best series you started in 2015? Best Sequel of 2015? Best Series Ender of 2015?
Best series would probably be the Maze Runner series, even though they aren’t the best books ever… best sequel was The Silkworm by Robert Galbraith and the best series ender… Veronica Mars: Mr Kiss and Tell (does that count?)
6. Favorite new author you discovered in 2015?
Amy Zhang, I read Falling into Place in January and it was incredible, I want to read more of her’s!
7. Best book from a genre you don’t typically read/was out of your comfort zone?
Revolution – Russell Brand, I haven’t read any non fiction for a really long time and I don’t tend to read much political stuff cos it tends to make me angry! But I really loved this!
8. Most action-packed/thrilling/unputdownable book of the year?
The Maze Runner series, even though, as I said, they aren’t the best books in the world, they were so fast and action packed and I couldn’t stop reading them!
9. Book You Read In 2015 That You Are Most Likely To Re-Read Next Year?
I don’t generally do re-reads to be honest. I was planning on rereading Paper Towns before I saw the film, but I didn’t! I’d love to re read some A S King, just to see if I love them as much the second time around.
10. Favorite cover of a book you read in 2015?
I can’t pick one… Here’s a few!
11. Most memorable character of 2015?
Though the book wasn’t published in 2015, I think Newt from the Maze Runner series was my BAE of books in 2015, though Simon Snow from Carrry On gave him a run for his money.
12. Most beautifully written book read in 2015?
The Shock of the Fall was incredible, Falling into Place was incredible, Side Effects may vary was incredible, Birdy was incredible, I’ll give you the sun was incredible. I read a lot of good books this year!
13. Most Thought-Provoking/ Life-Changing Book of 2015?
It isn’t the most amazing book, but Me Earl and the Dying Girl really made me fall in love with reading again, Ask the Passengers was a really lovely take on small town life and Russell Brand’s Revolution made me think a lot about society.
14. Book you can’t believe you waited UNTIL 2015 to finally read?
The Diviners – Libba Bray. The sequel also came out this year and it was equally as fabulous!
15. Favorite Passage/Quote From A Book You Read In 2015?
Something you should know about me is that I collect all my favourite quotes from books! I do a feature on here every time I find one I like! Having looked through all the posts I think my favourite was from a book called Lobster by Tom Ellen and Lucy Ivison: Everything seems like it was easier in Pride and Prejudice. My nan was married at eighteen. Married. I can’t even operate an iron.
16.Shortest & Longest Book You Read In 2015?
I have to thank Goodreads for this! The shortest book I read this year was Breakfast at Tiffany’s by Truman Capote and the longest was Me Being Me is Just as Insane as You Being You by Todd Hasak-Lowy. Also apparently the most popular book I read this year was The Help and the highest rated was The Amazing Book is Not on Fire! The more you know!
17. Book That Shocked You The Most. (Because of a plot twist, character death, left you hanging with your mouth wide open, etc.)
A Monster Calls – Patrick Ness. It shocked me because I was not expecting that! It was just so… Like, it was just so…. I can’t. I can’t even.
18. OTP OF THE YEAR (you will go down with this ship!) (OTP = one true pairing if you aren’t familiar)
Evie and Sam in the Diviners. I know a lot of people like the idea of Evie and Jericho and I know Sam is a bit of a rogue, but they have such a rapport I can’t help but ship it! I also can’t help but ship Baz and Simon from Carry On. SO MUCH TENSION. SO CUTE. I CAN’T.
19. Favorite Non-Romantic Relationship Of The Year
Will Grayson and Tiny Cooper, the best friend Will Grayson, not the other Will Grayson of course. And just because I want to mention Carry On again, Simon and Penelope had a great platonic relationship.
20. Favorite Book You Read in 2015 From An Author You’ve Read Previously
A Monster Calls – Patrick Ness. Though, again. I want to mention Carry On by Rainbow Rowell.
21. Best Book You Read In 2015 That You Read Based SOLELY On A Recommendation From Somebody Else/Peer Pressure:
Trouble – Non Pratt. I was convinced by Becky’s review!
22. Newest fictional crush from a book you read in 2015?
Peter Grant. The Rivers of London series. I read the second one this year, he’s like a cockney Harry Potter.
23. Best 2015 debut you read?
Every Last Word – Tamara Ireland Stone. At least I think it was a debut. I liked it anyway.
24. Best Worldbuilding/Most Vivid Setting You Read This Year?
The Diviners/ Lair of Dreams. They’re supernatural murder mysteries. Amazing.
25. Book That Put A Smile On Your Face/Was The Most FUN To Read?
The Amazing Book is Not on Fire. Sorry but it was.
26. Book That Made You Cry Or Nearly Cry in 2015?
I cried so much at a Monster Calls! I also shed a little tear at Hello Goodbye and Everything Inbetween by Jennifer E Smith. So cute. I couldn’t even.
27. Hidden Gem Of The Year?
I think Simon vs the Homosapien Agenda was a brilliant hidden gem, more people need to read it
28. Book That Crushed Your Soul?
Definitely A Monster Calls. But in a good way!
29. Most Unique Book You Read In 2015?
Miss Peregrin’s Home for Peculiar Children. It had all these fascinating photographs mixed in with this intricate story. Amazing.
30. Book That Made You The Most Mad (doesn’t necessarily mean you didn’t like it)?
Oh, there were several, I might have read some amazing books this year, but I also read a few that I didn’t like. I tried to read Breakfast at Tiffany’s and it annoyed me as much as the film does, Murder for the Choir, which was, if it is possible, actually worse than Glee, Me Being Me is just as Insane as You Being You, When we were and Mosquitoland. They weren’t necessarily bad, just there were moments that made me so frustrated!
1. One Book You Didn’t Get To In 2015 But Will Be Your Number 1 Priority in 2016?
Career of Evil, Robert Galbraith.
2. Book You Are Most Anticipating For 2016 (non-debut)?
You’re never weird on the internet – Felicia Day
3. 2016 Debut You Are Most Anticipating?
Love, Lies and Spies by Cindy Anstey, I have no idea what it is about, by look at it!
4. Series Ending/A Sequel You Are Most Anticipating in 2016?
In 2016 I want to see more of the Diviner’s series and more from the Rivers of London series, please! I’d also like Rainbow Rowell to make an actual Simon Snow series. Because I need more.
5. One Thing You Hope To Accomplish Or Do In Your Reading/Blogging Life In 2016?
It would be nice to actually manage to read the amount of books I set out to at the beginning of the year!
6. A 2016 Release You’ve Already Read & Recommend To Everyone:
Seven Ways We Lie. It was a lot of fun! So, like read it if you haven’t already!