I think we can all agree, 2016 has been one hell of a weird year. Aside from the huge losses to the creative arts, all the political and economic craziness and the general wtf-ness of the past year, there have been a few lovely highlights, so I thought I would go back through my monthly round ups and relive some of the best moments!
Now, I am not someone that does New Year’s Resolutions, but this year, I did have a few things that I wanted to get done this year. I wanted to upload an actual proper uke cover to my YouTube channel… Check! I wanted to finish the novel I was working on, check! And I started another two writing projects and finally, I wanted to get a load of short film scripts written so that 2017 could be the year of the film. I managed to finish two of them, so I have been kind of productive! In the coming year, I’d like to make healthier choices and I’d like to get back into playing piano because I have been very lax on that! Let’s see how we get on with that shall we?!
Favourite memories of the year:
- Getting hearing aids fitted and actually realising how much noise my coat makes when I move. Clue, it is a lot of noise.
- Spending a few months learning how to camera at college, which basically resulted in me wandering around dark car parks and then finally figuring out what apertures are in my last session!
- Getting to see twenty one pilots twice, once in Bristol (blurryface tour), once in Brussels (the emotional roadshow). Both were incredible, I can’t wait to see what these guys do next, though whether or not I’ll attempt to cross seas to see them next time remains to be seen!
- Visiting the Cosmonauts exhibit at the Science Museum in Kensington and generally having the nerdiest times. It was so good! I wish I lived nearer London so I could check out all the exhibits!
- Impromptu trips to see 5sos.
- That one time Chris, John, Rhys and I went to see Captain America and I arrived way too early and had to hang around the cinema waiting for them and then basically only ate m and ms for tea and then we decided to go for a quick drink even though we’re all tee total and then getting asked to leave for over staying our welcome. Fun times.
- Joining the Frome Ukulele Club.
- Being part of the town that held the first ever rural pride event.
- Getting to spend time with my favourite mini humans.
- Building a coffee table at the dead of night. Where dad failed, my brother prevailed.
- Bowling with the homies.
- The Pokemon Go phenomenon. Does anyone care about Pokemon Go anymore?
- Bristolian based sibling bonding. My brother and I went on a nerd road trip. It was awesome.
- The Doctor actually being in town. Is anything more exiting than comic con coming to town?
- Finally revisiting the London Dungeons and being hung at Newgate Prison! When I first visited, I was very young and we got shot for treason because my dad was wearing a West Ham shirt. The dungeons are on Southbank now and these days they hang you for treason. Was much less intimidating than the Berlin version!
- Birthday bantz, wii tournaments, failing to make Yorkshire puddings and too much drag race…
- Experiencing a Lush bath for the first time. Like omg, how did I reach 28 without doing that?
- Watching friends get married
- Going to DisneyLand Paris
- Robert Sugden declaring he’s bisexual. What a day.
- Reading Emma’s lovely things posts every Sunday.
- Manneken Pis.
- Watching my dad get mad at tourists whilst being a tourist!
- Visiting the Houses of Parliament with my parents and my mum glaring at a statue of Margaret Thatcher whilst demanding to know why Harold Wilson didn’t get such a big memorial.
- Playing my first ever ukulele show to a sold out audience!
According to goodreads, I read 77 books this year! That’s more than my target! That’s not all though, this year I decided, just out of interest, to keep a tally of the genders of the authors I was reading over the year. Come the end of December it turns out that I’ve read 28 books with male authors and 53 books with female authors (some books had more than one author…). Part way through the year I embarked on a goal to read more non fiction and managed 6 of them!
Best books of the year:
- Jacob’s Colours
- Reasons to stay alive
- The Translation of Love
- When we collided
- My heart and other black holes
- Asking for it
Favourite films of the year (as in things I watched for the first time this year, not necessarily new films!):
- Die Hard
- Captain America: Civil War
- The Wolf of Wall street
- The fundamentals of caring
- Finding Dory
- Fantastic Beasts and Where to Find Them
Over the past year, I’ve watched 113 films!! I thought I’d not watched that many this year, but I think I watched more than enough!
Best TV of the Year:
- Making a Murderer
- The Nightmanager
- Peaky Blinders
- Stranger Things
- Great British Bake Off
- Go 8 bit
- Brooklyn 99
- Gilmore girls
Instagram best nine:
I think you guys should brace yourselves for more of the monthly round ups in the coming year, they were probably my favourite thing to compile during the past year and going back through them all to find bits and pieces for this post was so lovely! It’s just nice to know that despite all the weird and not so nice things that happened this year, there were some glimmers of wonder, here’s to 2017!