Why hello there February!
Now for those not in the know, in the UK, February is LGBT history month and all over the country there are a host of events going on to celebrate LGBT people across history and also presents an opportunity for us to come together. A few years ago, I made a video talking about some of my favourite LGBT reads but since then I’ve read a load more books that I can fill you in on, so here we are!
First things first – check out the video from all those years ago:
Obviously, I still think you should get your hands on Boy Meets Boy and Two Boys Kissing by David Levithan, Annie on my Mind by Nancy Garden, Far From You by Tess Sharp and The Miseducation of Cameron Post by Emily Danforth but here’s a bunch more for you!
- Simon vs the Homosapian Agenda – Becky Abertelli (you may also know this as Love Simon because there is a film version coming and it got renamed)
- Aristotle and Dante uncover the secrets of the universe – Benjamin Alire Saenz
- Empress of the World – Sara Ryan
- Oranges are not the only fruit – Jeanette Winterson
- Release – Patrick Ness
- Mirror Mirror – Cara Delevigne
- Tell me Again how a crush should feel – Sara Farizan
- The Song of Achilles – Madeline Miller
- Suicide Notes from Beautiful Girls – Lynne Weingarten
- The Art of Being Normal – Lisa Williamson
- Alex Aswell – Alyssa Brugman
- Love in the Time of Global Warming – Francesca Lia Block
- Everything Leads to You – Nina LaCour
- Here we are now – Jasmine Warga (ok, so the main character is straight… But her best friend is gay and its just a wonderfully diverse cast, so I’m including it)
There, that should give you something to be getting on with!
Let me know your LGBTQA+ recommendations and if you have any events happening in your area celebrating the month.